понедельник, 24 апреля 2017 г.

To the 11-formers! A letter to the host family.

Using the following tips how to write formal and informal letters, imagine you've decided to live in a foreign family for a month. You are going to write a brief e-mail to the family that would choose you as an exchange student. What are the important things to mention?  So, please , write your e-mails in the comments below.
Here are some standard phrases that are used in business or formal letters. These are essential to give a professional tone to your letter.

The beginning

formal letter must always begin by addressing the recipient. Common ways of addressing people are:
Dear Principal (This style is preferred when you know the designation of the person you are writing to.)
Dear Sir / Dear Madam / Dear Sir or Madam (This is used when you do not know the name or designation of the person you are writing to.)
Dear Ms. Hopkins (Use Ms. for women if you do not know whether she is married or not. If you are certain that she is married, use Mrs. If you are certain that she is unmarried, you may use Miss.)
Dear Dr.
Dear Mathews (Use this if the person you are writing to is a close business contact.)
Note
If it is possible, write to a specific person. For example, a letter that begins Dear Mr. Mathews may yield better results than one that begins Dear Sir.

Body of the letter

Begin the letter by making a reference to a conversation you have already had with the recipient of your letter. If yours is the first letter in a conversation, start by providing the reason for writing.
Standard phrases are:
With reference to your letter of January 3rd
With reference to your advertisement in the Times of India dated 12th December, 2011
With reference to your phone call today
With reference to the telephonic conversation we had yesterday

The Reason for Writing

Standard phrases used are:
I am writing this letter to inquire about ---
I am writing this letter to inform you that ---
I am writing this letter to apologize for ---
I am writing this letter to confirm that ---
I am writing this letter to apply for---
Examples are given below
I am writing to inquire about the job vacancy advertised in the Hindustan Times of January 5th.
I am writing this letter to apologize for the delay in shipping your order placed on December 19th, 2011.
I am writing to confirm the shipment details of your order placed on ---

Call for action

You have now explained the reason for writing your letter. The next step is to state the specific purpose - what you want to achieve by writing - of your letter.
Standard phrases are:
I would be grateful if you could ---
Could you possibly ---

Closing remarks

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.
Thanks for your time.
Thank you for your consideration
Feel free to write if you have any questions.
Feel free to contact us again if we can help in any way.

Call for future action

We look forward to hearing from you soon.
We look forward to seeing you next week.

Enclosing Documents

I am enclosing ---
Please find enclosed ---
Enclosed you will find ---
The tips for writing informal letters are here.

9 комментариев:

  1. Dear Mrs. Jones,
    I am writing this letter to inquire about details of your intention to accept me as an exchange student. I want to inform you that with reference to your recall , I would be glad to be invited to your wonderful family in America. In the letter that you sent earlier, you constructively described the traditions, the culture of the country, as well as the attitude towards foreign students. Thanks to your information, I was able to compare the culture of America with the country where I live - Belarus. And thanks for your advice, I will definitely get acquainted with your local customs, and in exchange I have enclosed a document about some traditions of Belarus, I hope you have time to read it.
    If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. Thank you for your attention. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    ОтветитьУдалить
    Ответы
    1. Thank you, Vika! It would be great if you added some information about yourself in your letter.

      Удалить
    2. A little bit information about me:
      My name is Vika, I am 17 years old. I was born in Belarus, Mogilev. I study at the secondary school number 28, where I finish the 11th grade. In my free time I attend the gym and a swimming pool. I like to draw, listen to music and one of the most favorite hobbies is reading. My favorite Russian author is Nadezhda Kuzmina, who writes fiction. I also like to spend time with my friends. We often get together, walk, have fun. One of our favorite hobbies is skating. On the weekends we go to the Ice Palace, which works all year round, even in the summer.
      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

      Удалить
  2. Dear host family.
    I greet you with great pleasure. I'm Karina and I'm 17 years old. I participate in the exchange student programme for the first time. I was born in Mogilev , Belarus. My family is not very big and I'm an only child in the my family. I am chatty and love to meet new people and make friends. I will be glad to say with you and make friends your family. I want to tell you a little about myself. I go in for sports, I visit the gym several times a week, I really love traveling, I love listening to music and walking outside in good weather. I like a variety of dances, I often visit the theater and cinema.
    Looking forward to meeting with you.
    Best regards,
    Karina Avdeeva.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Hello dear Mrs .Hops. I want to say that with reference to your advertisement in the positive news of England on April 12, 2017 I have read. I want to say that I really liked all your suggestions about housing and money, and I'm very glad that you will help with my main purpose of visiting England is to learn the language because I would like to bring up English to be able to look for a decent job abroad. And now I want to provide some information about me. my name is Olya . I am 16 years old . I live in the city of Mogilev. My country is rich lakes, forests, rivers and unique rocks. This year I finish 11th grade. I study well. My favorite subjects in school are English, Russian, literature and others. I want to learn Spanish and French too. I like to travel, but it is difficult to visit countries when you do not know the language they speak there. If I know the language of the country I'm going to visit, it will be easy for me. I have a lot of hobbies like yoga, painting, traveling, sports and others. I think that the hobby takes us out of the depression and raises the mood. Let's say you are very upset with something. But if you have a favorite pastime, then it is so interesting that, having had a good time, you gradually forget about failure. In my spare time I like to read books. It helps not only to relax, but to develop thinking. I hope that you will read my letter and I will be able to come to you to fulfill my dream. Thank you for your attention .

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Dear Mr.Robbert.
    I’m writing this latter to inform you that I want to be hosted by your family while I will study in your country. And now I want to tell you some facts about myself as not everyone. So, I hope that you will allow me to live in your house.
    So, my name is Artem Prizhkov. I am 17. I live in Belarus. I am studying in secondary school number 28.I am studying in 11th grade. I haven’t any bad habits that is why you will be calm about me and your house. I like spending my free time doing something interesting that is usually connected with science. I also love animals, so if you have a pet I will be very happy.
    And now I want to tell you about the reasons of my visiting to your country. First of all I am very interested in culture of the UK, especially of Scotland. I also want to study in one of your university as it will give a lot of new experiences. And finally, I hope that this trip will help me in my future life.
    So, I look forward to your recall. I hope that you will think about me well and you will host your house for me.

    ОтветитьУдалить